Laura Trott: The golden girl
We’re so proud to be sponsoring this superstar cyclist! Laura’s stunning track performances really are something spectacular, and her performance in Rio has been extra-ordinary. The Golden girl has become Britain's most successful female Olympian by winning four Olympic gold medals and retaining her omnium title.
"I can't believe it. I didn't expect that at all," said a tearful Trott, who matched her team pursuit and omnium victories from London 2012 in Rio.
Laura burst onto the cycling scene in 2010 when she became the junior world champion in the omnium. By the time the 2012 London Olympics arrived she had added more world championship gold medals in the team pursuit and omnium. Sure enough, at the Olympics she won two gold meals for – you’ve guessed it – team pursuit and omnium. But that was just for starters! Then she powered through the European and world cycling events to become the most successful rider (male or female) in the history of the European Track Championships.
At the World Championships in London earlier this year Laura was so dominant in the omnium – a mixture of six riding disciplines – that the crowd rose in an ovation as she finished her final lap to win a gold medal!
But Laura’s path to being an Olympian had difficult beginnings. She was born one month prematurely with a collapsed lung and was later diagnosed with asthma. She took up cycling with her mother to help her health and then discovered she had rather an aptitude for the sport!
Laura has been described as having ‘an iron resolve’ and it’s clear that at 24 she is just at the beginning of an awesome career. So far she has won 22 gold medals in different competitions but her ambitions continue as she hopes to achieve and even beat Sir Chris Hoy’s haul of six Olympic golds in cycling which her fiance Jason Kenny has just equaled by winning the dramatic keirin. These two are a 'power couple' at it's best - the golden pair are unstoppable!
Looking good, Laura, and there is further success to come. But one of the things we love most about you is your down-to-earth personality – here’s how Laura describes herself on Instagram: ‘I ride round in circles for fun…’.
Now that’s our kind of Olympic champion!
We joined Laura at her home to see how she trains – and relaxes!
Five things you may not know about Laura
- Laura has a leisure centre named after her – the Grundy Park Leisure Centre was renamed the Laura Trott Leisure Centre in her honour in after it was redeveloped in 2014.
- Laura is an OBE. She was appointed Officer of the Order of the British Empire in the 2013 New Year Honours for services to cycling.
- Her dogs are sproodles – a cross between a poodle and an English springer spaniel – and are called Sprolo and Pringle. And she is going to miss them most when out in Rio.
- She is engaged to Jason Kenny, another Olympic cyclist who won gold medals in the team sprint and individual sprint at the 2012 Olympics.
- Laura is entitled to wear the Rainbow Jersey in competitions for a year as she is a World Champion in the team pursuit.
Back to homepage